Tuesday 8 January 2013

Brooks PureDrift (Men) Review - A Quick look at that "Yerrow-yerrow" shoe


Yup, I know it's kinda late but I kinda purposely left it last minute just right before the official launch of the new Brooks PureDrift this early January 2013. Yup, a birdie told me it's gonna be real soon within this 1-2 weeks or even earlier. Keep your fingers crossed!

But of course, a few of us reviewers had the chance to earlier review the shoes. I've previously mentioned this in my previous blog entry on the unboxing of the PureDrifts. Link here.

The first time I laid eyes on it. 
In this blog entry, I'm gonna review basically the feel and expectation of the shoe. For more technical parts of it, please do review them in this link of my previous entry of this shoe.

The Brooks PureDrift from the Pure Project 2 series. 
First and foremost, I have to give a huge thumbs up for it's awesome striking "Yerrow" (Yellow, I prefer to use the more street word) colour of the shoe. Of course there are other choices of colour but this is by far the most striking and coolest. I always have this notion if I ever get lost or disappeared in some forest or something; at least I have something striking to stick out (like a sore thumb...ahem). But that of course is the aesthetics points of it.

I've previously mentioned before that I would test the shoes in various conditions. So far I've tested it on a few training runs (on road and treadmill) , a couple of running events and a wet test. Yes, that is running in the rain with the Drifts.

Bare in mind that in all my test, I've worn socks with it and left the sock liner in it as I felt the 4mm drop was just the good amount of "barefoot" feel I like and the socks were just more for sanitary reasons and comfort. The only time I can go without socks are with the Vibram Five Fingers.
First time trying the Brooks PureDrift during the DR Handicap Run.
Running along side Seng Chor, the Vibram Five Finger Kaki.
Photo courtesy of Mien Yee.
The first time I tried them on was during our DR Handicap Run back in October. I've worn them for a few times but I've yet to run in them yet. The first initial feeling that it's really lightweight and it has a very similar feeling like my previous Adizero F50 but also has a snug and low profile feel of KSO Vibram Five Fingers (but not as much).

So at ease, so lightweight that you float when you run.
Photo courtesy of Mien Yee.
The PureDrifts were surprisingly comfy during my 8km run and there is a definite feel of a great lift off from heel /mid foot to toe. This also lead to a tendency of wanting to go faster which was much easier than a heavier shoe.

Testing on treadmill.
Note the clumsy pounding as I was adjusting to as the heat started 30 minutes into it.

Other trials after that was on random road training. Running on tar road is pretty good and I had no issues with it except the occasional midfoot pain whenever I run on something flat. This is very evident especially running on a treadmill. In my personal opinion, the Drifts are not so great on really flat surfaces and I actually had so much pain on my midfoot that I had to stop several times. Other reviewers had commented it does have a "burning sensation". Besides that, I had no issues as long as I'm on the road.

I've used the PureDrifts on 2 running events; namely Malakoff 2012 and Chandrikala Run 2012.

Longest distance ran with the Drifts. Malakoff KL12KM. Grinning smile (pain)
Photo courtesy of Victor & Elaine.

During Malakoff, the Drifts were initially fantastic during the first 7-8km but the burning pain and sensation started right after that. So I can only theorize is that  because I'm a heavier runner, I pound a little more than usual hence the reaction. No problems with the shoes; just a matter of getting used to it.

Chandrikala Run 2012. Soaking wet but still feeling awesome.
Photo courtesy of KF Chong.

Chandrikala Run was a fantastic time to test out the PureDrifts. It was a short 5K Run and it was pouring cats and dogs. Already soaked wet but surprisingly still comfy with the shoes. Because the way the shoe is wrapped around the feet tightly, the shoes are unable to soak in much water and it's still quite well ventilated. Albeit wet, there was almost no sensation of sogginess and I was still able to feel the lightness of the shoe when running. Pretty impressive.

All wet but still feeling smashing alright. 

During all this period with the shoes, I've come to realise that I'm working a lot of running muscles. This experience is very similar to when I was training with my Vibram KSO.

So here are some highlights from my test :
1. Excellent lightweight shoes. For those who prefer minimalistic shoes.
2. A unique barefoot feel. For those who also are experimenting or transitioning from minimalistic to barefoot.
3. 2 for the price of 1! Sock liner can be removed and customized. So you can have either a minimalistic shoe or a near barefoot shoe.
4. A very good wrap feel around feet; so it feels like you are one with the shoe. Almost nude-like.
5. Great for short distance races; especially for people like me who don't like to lug a heavy pair of trainers for such distances.
6. Great shoes to train your running muscles (especially the calves) and helps you naturally land mid foot instead of heel.
7. Excellent colour! Of course, I love the Yellow one so much but there are other colour variants available.

All in all, it's a pair of excellent running shoes and it would be another great collection to the current Pure Project Series users AND also to new users experimenting/ transitioning to minimalistic shoes.

For more info, do check out Brooks Malaysia.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I'm intrigued as to how they feel, because the shape (and awesome color) look pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...